County-Wide Community Fitness Challenge
A goal of the Vulcan County Health & Wellness Foundation is to develop, promote, and deliver health and wellness programs that service all of the citizens living in Vulcan County.
One of the activities that the Foundation has created to help achieve that goal is the County-Wide Fitness Challenge. This unique wellness program is designed to reach every corner of the county.
Forms for 2017 Fitness Challenge"
- In 2015, we had 51 teams with a total of 204 participants from around Vulcan County.
2017 County-Wide Community Fitness Challenge
- Welcome to the 2017 County-wide, Community Fitness Challenge. These six weeks of fun are designed to motivate all citizens of Vulcan County to be more active and to lead a healthier life-style.
- The challenge starts on Monday April 17th and ends on Sunday, May 28th.
- A celebration party will be held on June 1st with a walk to the rodeo grounds to announce the winners and celebrate our success!
- The Foundation is partnering with the Town of Vulcan's Recreation Department new "1st Day of Summer" event. More information on this event will be made available shortly.
- Follow the challenge on Facebook at Vulcan County Fitness Challenge
- Teams will consist of 4 individuals. If you do not have a team of 4 you can still register and we will put you on a team.
- Please fill out the forms in this package and return them with your payment.
- Registration is $40 per team ($10.00 per person) and cheques must be made payable to the Vulcan County Health and Wellness. Student teams are FREE.
- The Registration deadline is March 30th.
- If you plan on participating in the weight loss portion of the program, you must weigh in to establish a starting point.
- Registration forms and fees can also be turned in at the following locations any time before March 30th:
- Vulcan County Health and Wellness located in the Vulcan Business Development Office, 110 1st Ave S., Vulcan, AB T0L 2B0.
- Bonnie Ellis, Vulcan Recreation Office, Town of Vulcan Office.
- Kari Thiessen, Vulcan Hospital
- 30 minutes of physical activity at a moderate intensity = 10 points. Remember that these 30 minutes of consecutive activity must take place outside of work or school activities.
- There is no limit on how many points you can earn each day or week.
- We will use the same categories this year as in previous years, BUT there is a twist.
- This year all groups of participants, with the exception of the students' groups, will begin the challenge without being registered in a specific category.
- After the third week (May 7th) groups will be placed into the MILD, MODERATE AND VIGOROUS categories based on how many points they have accumulated to date.
- This will eliminate the issue of everyone signing up for the Moderate category and very few signing up for the other two categories.
- You can earn 10 bonus points if you are caught by one of our "secret watch dogs" being physically active while wearing your T-shirt. But, even if you figure out who some of these folks are, you won't know if this is the day or the time that they are actually working!
- The Healthy Choice Weekly option is announced every week to give you that nutritional goal (no bonus points this year just healthier food choices).
- We will have at least three 5K walk/runs throughout the community throughout the challenge. Each person that participates in these events will get 30 bonus points per event.
- If you choose to go into the weight loss extra challenge, you will have to come to the office at the Vulcan Business Development Building on or before April 17th to establish a starting point, and participate in a final weigh-in at the end of the challenge.
- There will be prizes at the end for the person who losses the most weight during the challenge.
- There will be a 40 point-bonus for each person that signs up for the TINMAN Triathlon on June 3th.
- This year the Tinman organizers have added a "½ Tin!"
- Their website is www.vulcantinman.ca.
- New this year will be a Mother's Day Walk/Run on May 13th. This will be a fundraiser for the Foundation and participants from the Fitness Challenge are welcome (40 More Bonus points). More detail on this to come.
- New this year we are tying into the Alberta 150th. In the package is a ParticipACTION 150 Playlist (http://participaction.com/1
50 if you want to sign up) of activiities you can accomplish throughout the year. For every new activity on the list that you do you will get a 10 Point Bonus.
- Students in school will be able to sign up FREE this year to encourage more rivals between our schools.
Point Tracking and Reporting
- Keep track of your own points and report them to your team captain at the end of each week. The week runs from Monday to Sunday.
IF YOU DO NOT REPORT YOUR POINTS ON TIME, THEY WILL NOT BE RECORDED.